The idea for this album came to Lev Slepner, the founder and leader of Marimba Plus, back in 2017, after the band’s concert in the Moscow Planetarium. As conceived by Slepner, it was supposed to be an album of electronic music but at the outset of the work, the band realized they should not limit themselves to one specific genre. So they began a search for a sound that would combine electronics with Slepner’s ideas and the band’s distinctive jazz-meets-classical style. “In Another Dimension” is the result of that search and a tale of the starry sky above our heads and the cosmos inside us.
According to Lev Slepner, “this album is a reflection of and a love expression for our strange and inexplicable world. I believe that inside each of us there’s an equally complex realm that we often hide from the others and sometimes from ourselves.”
1. March 17th
2. In Another Dimension
7. Jerusalem (Live)
Music by Lev Slepner
Lev Slepner: marimba (3, 4, 6, 7), percussion (1, 3, 4, 7), piano (2, 4, 5)
Ilya Dvoretsky: flute (1-5, 7), alto flute (2), bass flute (1)
Sergey Nankin: clarinet (2-5, 7), basset horn (1, 3)
Mikhail Zuev: tenor saxophone (2, 4, 7)
Ivan Akatov: trumpet (1-4, 7), flugelhorn (1, 3, 5)
Nikolay Solonovich: cello (1-4)
Sergey Geokchaev: piano (1, 3), keyboards (1, 3, 4)
Dmitry Chemyrev: keyboards (4)
Olesya Mitko: keyboards and vocals (6)
Evgeny Yaryn: bass guitar
Paata Chakaberia: chonguri (3)
Vitaly Epov: drums (1, 2, 7)
Leonid Tavrovsky: drums (6)
Recording engineer: Ilya Lukashev
Assistant: Valery Badyanov
Ilya Lukashev Studio
Samsara recorded by Alexander Rybkin at MMS Records
Piano on In Another Dimension, Orion and Bonsai recorded by Andrey Laskin at Zurab Tsereteli Art Gallery
Drums on March 17th recorded by Vasily Falk at Gentle Records
Orion music editor: Anton Belyaev
Orion recorded and mixed by Vasily Sidenko
Jerusalem recorded live at the Kozlov Club by Egor Zykin
Mixed and produced by Mikhail Zuev
Mastered by Boris Istomin
Cover art by Jazzist
Marimba Plus would like to thank:
- Mikhail Klyukin, whose financial support helps our music see the light, for his longstanding friendship.
- Araik Hakobyan, director of the Kozlov Club, for making our music heard and loved by thousands of fans.
- Mikhail Zuev, a man of many talents, with a rare sense of taste and producer’s flair, for his devoted work and making all the ideas work (even the ones that seemed impossible).
- Ilya Lukashev and Valery Badyanov for recording the winds, strings and marimba on March 17th, In Another Dimension and Leonids.
- Anton Belyaev and Vasily Sidenko for recording strings and marimba on Orion, as well as mixing the track.
- Andrey Laskin for his help with recording the piano.
© ℗ Jazzist, 2023